Job ID 7081
Career Level Coder
Experience 1-2 Years
Qualifications Bachelor's Degree
- Reviews the medical record of all outpatient, ancillary and ancillary recurring hospital encounters to determine the principal diagnosis and procedure and all appropriate secondary diagnoses and procedures
- Using the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9/10) and the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding classification systems, assigns codes to all diagnoses and procedures following applicable coding principals and department guidelines; enters into the Epic Hospital Billing system for transmittal to billing system
- Abstracts and codes all required clinical and demographic data for OSHPD (Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development), Quality Management, and Medical Staff; enters information into the Epic Hospital Billing system
- Assigns ICD-9/ I-10 codes to the chief complaint of outpatient diagnosis accounts; enters into the Epic Hospital Billing system. Enters CPT codes, as appropriate
- Reviews accounts for coding edits and corrects those edits
- Maintains current knowledge of the most recent ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, the annual changes to the ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure codes, and the annual changes to the CPT procedure codes. Recognizing that we are in a period of change, the same would be expected for ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure coding, once implemented
- Ensures that the coding units Weekly Accounts Receivable (WAR) goals are met, by meeting the productivity standards established for this position
- Performs other duties as assigned
- CD-9/CPT coding experience in an acute care hospital OR successful completion of an accredited coding program
- Successful completion of ICD-10 CM (and PCS preferred) training.
- Good knowledge of medical coding and billing systems, regulatory requirements, auditing concepts, and principles.
- Experience in Anciliary coding is required.